Sunday, October 16, 2011

When the Soul Soars (For the Dedication of the MLK Memorial)


                                                               
A few years ago, I attended a friend’s installation as head of a Quaker elementary and high school.  (Schools heads are not inaugurated, sworn in, or crowned, they are installed.  “Made me feel like a plumbing fixture,” another friend observed.)  Describing why she was so enthusiastic about her new school, my friend mentioned the interesting questions posed to her by members of the community during the interview process.  She singled out one question in particular; a teacher had asked “What makes your soul soar?”
            Yes, when said out loud that’s a doubly ambiguous question, but she accompanied it with gestures that dispelled any confusion.
            I spent the remainder of the ceremony half attending to the event and half pondering the question for myself.  (She never said what she answered, and I never asked her later.)  By the time we marched out, I had settled on three things:  music, the sea, and righteousness.  Of these, the last is the only one that can actually bring me to weep.
            It started a long time ago.  As a boy, I wept when Robin Hood shot an arrow out the window from his deathbed, and told his men to bury him wherever it landed.  I wept more than once and in more than one version, when King Arthur went to his last battle, hoping that, in T.H. White’s words, “There would be a day – there must be a day – when he would come back to Gramarye with a new Round Table which had no corners, just as the world had none – a table without boundaries between the nations who would sit to feast there.”
            I couldn’t have given it a name then, but I believe I was moved by the righteousness of these men, and by the failure, or death, that ended their striving.
            Later on I found myself moved as much when righteousness won its little victories as when it suffered its big defeats. One story in particular exemplifies for me the experience of witnessing righteousness.
After years of research on genocide and cruelty, scholar Philip Hallie described his reaction to reading about a small town in France which, under the leadership of its Protestant and Catholic ministers, determined to rescue its Jews:

“About halfway down the third page of the account of this village, I was annoyed by a strange sensation on my cheeks.  The story was so simple and so factual that I had found it easy to concentrate upon it, not upon my own feelings.  And so, still following the story…I reached up to my cheeks to wipe away a bit of dust, and I found tears on my fingertips.  Not one or two drops; my whole cheek was wet.”

That night, he says:

“Lying there in bed, I began to weep again. I thought, why run away from what is excellent simply because it goes through you like a spear….To the dismay of my wife, I left the bed, unable to say a word, crossed the dark campus on a starless night, and read again those two pages on the village of Le Chambon-sur-Lignon.  And to my surprise, again the sear, again the tears, again the frantic, painful pleasure that spills into the mind when a  deep, deep need is being satisfied, or when a deep wound is starting to heal”
                       
  --  Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed; see also the film “Weapons of the Spirit”

            Just last week, I encountered a very similar moment in Simon Baron-Cohen’s The Science of Evil.  The incident described comes from the autobiography of Thomas Buergenthal, a Holocaust survivor who became a cofounder of UNICEF and a judge at the Hague:

“At just nine years old, Thomas was rounded up with thousands of Jews and taken to Auschwitz.  There he had to watch while an inmate was forced to hang his friend who tried to escape.  An SS guard ordered the inmate to put the noose around his friend's neck.  The man couldn't fulfill the order because his hands were shaking so much with fear and distress.  His friend turned to him, took the noose, and in a remarkable act, kissed his friend's hand and then put the noose around his own neck.  Angrily, the SS guard kicked the chair away from under the man to be hanged.
Nine-year-old Thomas and the other inmates, watching the man kiss his friend's hand, rejoiced at that simple act that said (without words) ‘I will not let my friend be forced to kill me.’”

I hope others will share here their stories of righteous acts read about, in fiction or history, or witnessed in person.



No comments:

Post a Comment